The most important thing to start your day at work is to have a good vibration mood. Maintaining the mood will encourage great achievement for the day. Since the first thing that we see during arrival at the work place is the desk, therefore it should give a very good intuition. The first impression on your desk shows a lot on working mood. How does the drawer condition affect your working mood?
This drawer is unorganized, messed up and dangerous at the same time. Thus it also consume more time for owner to reached anything that they want.
This kind of work space not only will ruin your mood, it will also makes other people to have bad impression on your working career. Here are the effect of having messy work space:
Acknowledging that untidy work space may affect your time management, appearance and emotional quality in most ways, thus there is a crucial needs to maintain tidiness of your stuff. Here are the basic steps to organize your work space:
Starts with your Table
Rule of the thumb to organize your table is to have the most minimum number of items on your desk. Do not jammed everything on your desk. If you are working with computers for most of the time, these item list would be most suggested to be on your desk:
- Monitor, mouse and key board: for desktop users, you may locate your CPU under your desk. This may ensure that there is no messy wires all around your desk. While for printers and scanners, if these devices were not shared, you may placed them in a dedicated table (other than your desk) or even in specific segment in your customize cabinet. This may help a lot in avoiding congestion on your desk
- Desk phone: some organization remain a desk phone for each work space. It is important to keep your desk phone under the “reached zone”. Reached zone is a zone on your work space whereby you may reached for the item without getting up from your chair. Answering to phone calls are important. Therefore, desk phone should be easily reachable. It is also advisable to keep you hand phone on your desk. This is to ensure no important calls were missed.
- One book or note only at one time: remain only one hardcopy item at one time. This concept is applicable to files and all other documents. If your job require you to work with tonnes of document, place them on your cabinet. Do not stacked all documents on your desk. This will show unprofessional impression. Once you are finished with a file, changed them by placing it back in the cabinet. By this way, your desk will remain organized.
- Remain only one personal item at one time: personal item is an item that will brings good mood for the worker in their working space. Despite of facing thousand of challenges in the office, they can have a look at their personal item that can bring inner peace to them. Personal item can be in form of decoration, small plant, and even family photo. But it is important to remain only one personal item at one time. Remember that your desk is not your bedroom.
The Filing Cabinets
Organize your filing cabinets. If necessary, you may also revise your filing system. Consider to keep more digital files rather than hard copy documents. Can the document kept in digital storage? If it is possible, then there should be a process to scan, and destroy your hard copy document by shredding it. However, if there is no possibilities to get rid of your hard copy documents, ensure that there is no duplicating files. Here are some other tips for your filing cabinets:
- Categorize: other than common category such as tenders, invoices, and offer letters, consider to have another three categories. They are:
- New: new category can include all newly received work or documents. This may help you to see how many more item pending on your desk.
- In view: there are some documents that requires you to wait for further notice. Therefore, this document should stay in this category.
- Ready: this category allows you to keep track of the documents that are ready to submit. It also encourage double checking before submission.
- Alphabetical order: after categorizing all of your files, it is very helpful to organize them accordingly to alphabetical order within each category. By organizing your file in this order, you may save a lot of time searching for desired documents
- Embrace good labeling: label should be clear, easy to read and also neat. Good labeling complement the organized files structure. Without good label, it is impossible for a worker to open each file during searching.
- Use separators: separators for files can make you easily recognize the category that you have set for your filing system